Friday, October 17, 2008

ISU small

Over time relationships change and people grow. Celie’s relationship with Shug has many levels of emotion throughout the novel “The Color Purple”. As their relationship grows Shug has many roles. She is confidant, lover, sister, teacher and friend to Celie. Celie is a black woman born to a poor family in the south in the early part of the nineteen hundreds. As a child Celie is constantly abused by her father and as a women she is abused by her husband. She is told she isugly. Celie writes to God because there is no one else she can confide in. The singer Shug Avery is a strong outspoken and beautiful woman. She left her children with her mother to pursue her own interests, singing in night clubs, and being involved with many men.

Before Celie met Shug Avery she fantasizes and dreams about her and her lifestyle . She first saw Shug when she found a picture of her on the ground of her father’s home; she later learned that this photo was a woman named Shug Avery. (Walker 8 ) “ Shug Avery was a woman. The most beautiful woman I ever saw. She more pretty then my mama. She bout then thousand times more prettier then me. I see her there in furs. Her face rouge. Her hair like somethin tail. She grinning with her foot up on somebody motorcar. Her eyes serious tho. I ast her to give me the picture. An all night long I stare at it. An now when I dream, I dream of Shug Avery. She be dress to kill, whirling an laughing.”

Celie is infatuated with the idea of Shug Avery. She believes the singer’s life is exciting, wild and unconventional unlike her own. When Celie learns that Shug is in town she becomes very excited and jealous that her husband Mr._____ is going to see her show. (Walker 24 ) “Shug Avery is coming to town! She coming with her orkestra. She going to sing in the Lucky Star out on Coalman road. Lord I wants to go so bad. Not to dance. Not to drink. Not to play card. Not
even to hear Shug Avery sing. I just be thankful to lay eyes on her.”

When Celie first meets Shug Avery she is not what she expected. Celie’s husband brings Shug home when Shug is sick with a “womans disease” and no one will take her in. Celie nurses her back to health. Shug is rude, bossy, hateful, and spoiled. She treats Celie like a servant. Shug does not appreciate the things that Celie does for her. (Walker 46 ) “I ast Shug Avery what she want for breakfast. She say what yall got? I say ham grits, eggs, biscuits, coffee, sweet milk or butter milk, flapjacks. Jelly and jam. She say , Is that all? What about orange juice, grapefruit, strawberries and cream. Tea. Then she laugh. I don’t want none of your damn food, she say. Just gimme a cup of coffee and hand me my cigarettes.”

Shug is used to having a lot of attention. She is not kind to Celie when they first meet. She wants to make sure that Celie knows she is the one in charge. ( Walker 42 ) “She look me over from head to foot. Then she crackle. Sound like a death rattle. You sure is ugly, she say, like she ain’t believed it.” Later in the novel the reader learns that Shug’s actions were because she was jealous of Celie. ( pg 105 ) “And when I come here, say Shug. I treated you so mean. Like you was a servent. And all because Albert married you.”

After the two woman get to know each other it becomes clear that they have strong feelings for each other . Their relationship grows intimate and they often share the same bed. (Walker 124) “ Us sleep like sisters. Me and Shug. Much as I still want to be with her, much as I love to look. I love to hug up period, she say. Snuggles. Don’t need nothing else right now. Yeah I say. Hugging is good. Snuggle. All of it’s good.”

When they first act on their physical love for each other it is uncomplicated for them even though they are unsure of how to be with each other. ( Walker 97 ) “ She say, I love you, Miss Celie. And then she haul off and kiss me on the mouth. Um, she say, like she surprise. I kiss her back, say um, too. Us kiss and kiss till us can’t hardly kiss no more. Then us touch each other. I don’t know nothing bout it, I say to Shug. I don’t know much, she say. Then I feels something real soft and wet on my breast, feel like one of my little lost babies mouth. Way after while, I act like a little lost baby too.”

Their relationship transitions from lovers to friends when Celie finds out that Shug has married a man named Grady. (Walker 93 ) “ I run out the door. Before I know anything a skinny big toof man wearing red suspenders is all up in my face. Miss Celie, he say. Aw, Miss Celie I hear so much about you. Feel like we old friends. Shug standing back with a big grin. This Grady, she say. This my husband. The minute she say it I know I don’t like Grady.” Celie keeps her feelings about Grady to herself.

Shug taught Celie many things but not how to deal with her feelings of betrayal. When Shug has a 6 month fling with a younger man Celie feels horrible. She wonders if Shug ever loved her and questions her worthiness. (Walker 220 ) “Sometimes I think Shug never love me. I stand looking at myself in the looking glass. What would she love? I ast myself. My hair is kinky because I don’t straighten it anymore. My skin dark. My nose just a nose. My lips just lips. My body just any woman’s body going through the changes of age. Nothing special here for nobody to love.”

Over the course of the novel Shug taught Celie many lessons. Many of which help her personal growth . She became more independent and truly understands the meaning of love. She learns what it feels like to be in love, to be loved, to have her broken heart, to have a friend who is always there for her, and that she can do anything when she puts her mind to it. These are all thanks to Shug. Because of Shug Celie discovers she is worthy of respect, friendship, love, happiness and freedom. With Shug’s help Celie transforms into a happy successful and independent woman. Shug taught Celie about love, which allowed her to love herself and then everyone around her. ( Walker 228) “ I love folks.”



Bibliography

Walker, Alice. The Color Purple. New York and London: Harcount Brace Jovanovich, 1982.

1 comment:

komox37 said...

I enjoyed this essay very much Rebecca. You show real insight into the relationship betwen Shug and Celie, and in turn this shows a clear understanding of Walker's work.

T 4
A 4-
C 4-
K 4